Article Summary: There's a variety of things to do in London, especially for a tourist with limited time and budget. With a little guidance, a London trip can turn out to be the experience of a lifetime!
London has been one of the forerunners of cities that command a lion’s share in the United Kingdom’s as well as the world’s economy and entertainment arena. Named by New York Magazine as the world capital of the 21st century, London is definitely the place to spend a good . With so many places to visit and so much to do, one may easily be lost in the quagmire of things to do in London. However, to make matters easy, here’s a checklist of 5 things you must not miss out while visiting London:
* Visit Everything Royal – So what is London, or for that matter, UK famous for? A large majority would answer ‘royalty’! The rich history and traditions of the Victorian past and the best features of the erstwhile-imperial power has been kept intact in various areas of London. This includes the Buckingham Palace, where the Queen resides. Apart from this, the various forts and towers and domes (The O2) would provide an architectural wonderland for the uninitiated. London is probably the best place to revisit British monarchy at its peak of power in the 17th and 18th century!
* Sightseeing – London, though being the economic and commercial capital of the world, will surprise you with its variety of sightseeing options, especially parks and natural places. The Tower of London is one of the biggest sightseeing attractions, mostly because of the folklore and mystery surrounding it through fables down the ages. Other popular sightseeing spots include Hyde Park and Regent’s Park, Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, The Hampstead Heath, The O2 and the Trafalgar Square.
* Westminster Abbey and Piccadilly Circus – London is famous for its theater and film industry, including ballets and other Shakespearean dance-dramas and musicals staged here. Therefore, while in London, missing out on the famed theatre shows will be a mistake you will regret ever after. Also, visit the famous shopping plazas in and around the Westminster Abbey and Piccadilly Circus, where products from fashion designers and international brands can be found aplenty.
* Music and Sports – If you are a fan of rock and roll, or go ballistic when Chelsea or Arsenal wins the English Premier League, you have come to the right place. London is famous for its music concerts, with a huge number of artists and bands hailing from the British capital. Earls Court, the O2 arena and the Wembley Arena are specifically designed for rock concerts and music festivals. No fan would like to miss out on it by any chance. Spectator sports, especially, soccer (with 13 league teams including five from the famed English Premier League), cricket (with legendary cricket grounds including Lord’s and The Oval), tennis (Wimbledon) and rugby are a popular pastime for Londoners. Hence, if possible grab a ticket to a match and enjoy the vibe and colorful ambiance all along.
* Pubs – Exhausted and wasted from the whole day’s trip? London still has more – its ever-effervescent pubs! The world-famous Hard Rock Café or any of the other award-winning pubs and taverns can provide a multitude of cocktails and beers to refresh you within minutes. Live bands and the all-round ambiance of the pubs can easily help you rejuvenate yourself, preparing you for another day of discovering London!
These can be called, in a nutshell, the five things that should be given the topmost priority while touring to London. With some homework on more details about London, you can very easily enjoy the taste of London without emptying your pockets or running around the enigmatic city confused!
by Matt Morris